Tuesday 31 December 2013

Last Post ... for 2013

I've just returned from viewing the first of two New Year's Eve firework displays in Armidale. This was the 9 pm version designed for families with younger children and old fogeys like me. Dot stayed behind looking after her brother who is currently staying with us.

The display took place in the parkland running through the city centre along both sides of Dumaresq Creek and was excellent. Thanks go to the nearby Wicklow Hotel and Bowling Club, both of which supported the event financially and to Father Holy Smoke, one of the local Catholic Priests, who organised the display. The large crowd of maybe 1000 people was delighted.

Taking photos of the rapidly changing texture and brightness of exploding fireworks is a little difficult, but here are some my impressions. I seem to remember that the last major post about fireworks was my reporting of the Independence Day display at Baltimore's Inner Harbour (or perhaps Harbor) on July 4th 2008. Why does Independence Day keep cropping up? One of the Wicked Deals I included in my Christmas bridge competition was played by one Thomas Jefferson just after signing the declaration of independence! And, for the critical, yes ... I know that bridge was invented during the 20th century!








AS

No comments: