Monday 23 June 2014

Arlington Court & Carriage Museum

After Portugal, I spent 5 pleasant days visiting family in south-west England. I often visit National Trust properties whilst in England and this occasion was no different. My first destination was Arlington Court near Barnstaple in north Devon and on the western edge of Exmoor. This regency house, dating from the early 19th century also has the largest collection of carriages in Britain, giving the destination more importance. I start with pictures of this very comfortable and elegant home.















After that came the fascinating collection of coaches in which the rich and famous have travelled. All the exhibits were well explain and beautifully kept or restored. Their uses, strengths and weaknesses were exposed, providing an important glimpse into the problems of getting from A to B in the pre-automobile age. I'm glad in restropsect to have lived at the end of the 20th rather than the 19th century.





I'd rather like to take my last journey in this!



AS

No comments: