Monday 11 November 2013

Big Win

I've just spent 14 hours over two days playing contract bridge at our local club's annual spring competition. It was a Swiss Pairs + Swiss Teams event and attracted players from all over New South Wales. We had 28 tables (112 players) for the pairs and 25 tables for the teams, both the largest attendance for some time. On Saturday I and my regular partner, Barbara Gates, played 56 boards and came in the top quarter of a strong field. Indeed, we got to 3rd position at one stage.

However, the Sunday Teams was a great triumph. Barbara and I teamed up with Nick Wall (who is now my Tuesday partner) and Ed Hahn and we won the event by a mile. Our IMP score was almost three times second spot and the victory point tally was 30 ahead of second spot. Indeed, we'd won the event after 6 of the 7 scheduled rounds, but we massively consolidated our position in the last round. In one round we played the starting favourites for the event by 65 IMPS to nil! Our whole team played an almost faultless game over 7 hours of play (8 hours including a delicious lunch). However, both Barbara and I were exhausted at the end, though that was tempered by our winning $400 between us for coming in first.

Normally, the President of the club would present the rather large Jean Stokes memorial bowl shown below, but since I'm the President that role fell to my friend, Ian Price. There is an official photo of that event, but I don't have it at this stage. So here's a photo taken by Dot at home. I'll return the trophy to our club-house round the corner early this afternoon.


Update! I now have the official picture of the four of us:



AS

No comments: